If you’re involved in a rental car accident in Los Angeles, there are some specific steps you’ll need to take in order to ensure that everything is handled properly. Rental car accidents can be complex, so it’s important to have all the right information before taking any action. Our rental car accident guide for Los Angeles offers helpful tips; written by some of LA’s top personal injury attorneys!
Steps to Take After a Rental Car Accident from a Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney
1. The first thing you should do is call the police. This is important even if the accident seems minor. The police will create a report that can be helpful later on.
2. Next, you’ll need to exchange information with the other driver. Make sure to get their name, contact information, insurance information, and license plate number.
3. Once you have all the information, you should contact your rental car company. They’ll be able to help you figure out what to do next.
4. It’s also a good idea to call a lawyer at this point. Rental car accidents can be complex, and it’s important to have someone on your side who knows the ins and outs of the legal system.
5. Finally, make sure to keep all your documentation in one place. This includes the police report, insurance information, and any other paperwork related to the accident. This will make it easier to deal with everything later on.
Following these steps after a rental car accident can help you ensure that everything is handled properly. Rental car accidents can be stressful, but if you have the right information, they don’t have to be.
Do I need a Lawyer if I’ve Been Involved in a Rental Car Accident in Los Angeles?
Although it’s not required, we recommend that you speak with a lawyer if you’ve been involved in a rental car accident.
A lawyer can help you understand your rights and options, and they can negotiate with the other party on your behalf. If you decide to go without a lawyer, make sure you have all the information and documentation you need before taking any legal action.
How Common are Rental Car Accidents?
Unfortunately, rental car accidents are relatively common. In fact, according to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are roughly 17,000 rental car accidents in the United States every year.
This means that if you rent a car, there’s about a 1 in 10 chance that you’ll be involved in an accident. That’s why it’s so important to be prepared and know what to do if you are involved in a rental car accident.
What are the Most Common Causes of Rental Car Accidents?
There are several different factors that can contribute to a rental car accident. Some of the most common include:
– Distracted driving: Distracted driving is a major problem on the roads today, and it’s one of the most common causes of rental car accidents. If you’re looking at your phone, changing the music, or doing anything else that takes your attention away from the road, you’re putting yourself and others at risk.
– Speeding: Speeding is another leading cause of rental car accidents. If you’re driving too fast, you may not have enough time to react if something unexpected happens. This can lead to serious accidents.
– Driving under the influence: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is never a good idea. If you’re impaired, you’re more likely to be involved in an accident.
– Weather conditions: Bad weather can make driving more difficult and dangerous. If you’re driving in a storm or other hazardous conditions, be extra careful and take your time.
– Rental car defects: In some cases, accidents are caused by defects in the rental car itself. If you have a problem with your rental car, make sure to report it to the rental company right away.
Don’t hesitate to contact a lawyer if you’ve been involved in a rental car accident!